Coronavirus update for John Muir Way users
12 May 2020
(First published 19th March)
This article is intended to provide information on the status of the trail only and will be updated as the coronavirus situation evolves. For the latest advice on coronavirus, please visit the Scottish Government website.
The John Muir Way walking and cycling routes are still open for local use only at this time. In fact, getting outdoors and taking moderate exercise can be a great way to reduce stress, benefit our immune systems and take care of our mental health.
Taking exercise outside is allowed under the government's guidelines, as long as you are alone or with members of your household. On 11th May the guidance on outdoor exercise was amended by the Scottish Government to allow this more than once a day. However this must still be close to home, so please do not travel to the John Muir Way from a distance and do check the latest Scottish Government and NHS advice regarding exercise, social distancing, and what to do if you have symptoms.
For further guidance on responsible access to the outdoors at this time, visit the Scottish Outdoor Access Code website.
Facilities and Services
Please be aware that the majority of the facilities on the route, including visitor attractions, cafes and non-essential shops are currently closed due to coronavirus.
If you had planned a multi-day trip on the John Muir Way, please contact your accommodation providers or tour operator for advice on rescheduling your trip.
Using the John Muir Way
For those using the trail for their daily exercise at this time, please follow a few simple steps to help minimise the impact of coronavirus:
- Only use the John Muir Way if you live close by
- Keep a distance of at least 2m from other path users, even if this means having to stop to let people past
- Don't go out in groups - only go out alone or with members of your household
- Be considerate of other path users, e.g. slow down and alert other users if you're running or cycling to allow distancing
- Let somebody know where you’re going and when you’ll be back
- Take hand sanitiser, wash hands regularly and dispose of any tissues or wipes responsibly
Above all, please take extra care out on the trail and stay safe.